Geo-Based Processes & Services
Geo-based services and processes refer to the current location of a smartphone user or object. Targeted user communication, but also the optimization of operational tasks and processes can be realized on the basis of geodata.
Location-based services are location-specific mobile services. They provide information or functions to smartphone users, depending on their location. Various methods can be used for indoor positioning within buildings to implement location-based services. A distinction is made here between reactive and proactive services. For reactive location-based services, the user searches for locations in the vicinity directly on his/her device, e.g. for ATMs at the airport. Proactive services "recognize" when a user enters a specific area and trigger an action – e.g. sending information or an offer to the user's smartphone. This is referred to as location-based marketing. An app is required for these services.
Geofencing in Interior Spaces
The triggering of an action when taking a specific path is called geofencing (combination of geography and fencing). This can also be used inside buildings without GPS reception.
Geofencing is quite interesting for marketing in shopping centers, airports, train stations and at trade shows, among others. Users can be assigned anonymous "tags" that are based on their interests and behaviors. This could include characteristics such as age, gender, visited areas / stores and length of stay. This helps to provide users with information and offers that are only relevant for them.
Have you got questions? Contact us! We are happy to help you.
Geofencing allows intelligent process automation
. Using the infsoft Automation Engine
, you can define various geo-based triggers
along the process chain, speeding up operation and streamlining processes. It is possible to, for example, configure emails and tasks, create alerts, and protect areas by triggering automatic door locking / unlocking.
When talking about geofencing, we need to distinguish between client-based and server-based positioning.
- Client-based positioning The user has a corresponding app installed. A feedback channel is available that can be used to send messages to the user’s device.
- Server-based positioning The user cannot be addressed directly. However, interesting conclusions regarding interests and behaviors can be drawn from the location of numerous devices. Server-based geofencing can also be used to trigger different actions along the process chain.
The gained data can be analyzed and processed via the infsoft Indoor Analytics
and infsoft Indoor Tracking
Get to know the infsoft Automation Engine, which can be used to streamline processes along the process chain.
Typical applications of geofencing include:
- Mobile goods trigger an alarm signal as soon as they leave a defined area (anti-theft protection)
- Goods, machinery or vehicles send a message when they enter or leave an area, or a defined driving route is not observed (asset tracking)
- Security is notified when persons enter security-relevant or locked areas, e.g. in airports (person tracking)
- Customers, travelers or patients with specific characteristics are sent useful information to a smartphone as soon as they enter an area
Get the white paper for free
Great introduction to the topic of indoor positioning