Procedure of an Indoor Positioning Project in 8 Steps
As a full service provider, infsoft can support you throughout the entire process of your project. In order to provide you with an idea of the individual steps and the duration, we have broken down a typical IPS (indoor positioning system) project into its individual components for you. The average implementation time is between 2 and 8 weeks (project coordination not included). However, this can vary depending on the industry and the circumstances. In most cases, a proof of concept (POC) is first carried out so that the solution can be tested onsite.
1. Identifying Customer Needs
We identify the needs of your company together with you in the first project meeting. In this regard, we take into account the industry and the target group(s). We focus on the question "What specific problem do you want to solve?" An example: "Train travelers are having difficulties finding their connecting trains that depart on a different level in a multi-story train station." After visiting onsite, we can then plan the next step towards a solution suggestion and the mapping of the site.
2. Solution Suggestion
infsoft presents various options, then we have a discussion regarding which solution is feasible and makes the most sense. This includes possible problems that stand in the way (technical limitations, privacy concerns, soft factors such as employee acceptance). The total requirements are then broken down into several packages. The complete process will then progress through each package.
An example: Train travelers should be able to find their connecting train more quickly and be informed about delays and track changes. We suggest two components as a solution:
- An app for passengers that informs them in a timely manner regarding delays and track changes, and guides them via indoor navigation to the right track (client-based location).
- A route analysis via anonymous person tracking. The train station operator can thus determine which paths travelers frequent most often and how many persons change trains from train X to train Y on average. In this way, problems with signs and directions can be detected (server-based location).
3. Selection of Technology
The selection of the method and hardware for indoor positioning is of central importance for the project. A distinction here is made between a client-based and server-based approach. The hardware components we use are in most cases beacons, WiFi and/or infsoft Locator Nodes respectively infsoft Locator Tags.
- Client-based: Positioning takes place on the user's smartphone. This requires an app that evaluates signals from beacons or WiFi access points. A back channel is also available, e.g. for sending push notifications. Examples: Passenger app, indoor navigation, location based services with couponing, etc.
- Server-based: Positioning takes place via infsoft Locator Nodes or infsoft Locator Tags that receive positioning signals and forward them to the cloud server. The server then calculates the respective locations. An app is not required. Examples: Route analyses, asset and person tracking, generation of movement profiles. The hardware components in our projects are usually beacons, WiFi and/or infsoft Locator Nodes or infsoft Locator Tags. It all depends on the application and the conditions onsite.
The next step is to digitalize your building. We would then require your building plans in a common format (e.g. .jpg, .png, .pdf, AutoCAD). infsoft then records the plans in the maps editor, defines route networks and enters the important locations (POIs). Then colors are used as per your corporate design specifications and the abstraction level of the plans is defined. You can then carry out any additional data management yourself (e.g. when there are changes).
5. Hardware Installation / Site Inspection
We support the onsite installation and make sure that any special features that must be taken into account during installation and hardware parameterization are taken care of (e.g. shielding).
6. Positioning Calibration
Calibration routes are defined in infsoft Calibration Tools based on the hardware being used. Calibration takes place onsite via the Calibration app, which records the required data for subsequent positioning. Then the calibration results are checked and optimized if necessary. You team can also perform this step if desired.
7. Delivery of the Solution
We develop a solution in close coordination with you while presenting you with regular preliminary results along the way. Closed user group tests make sure that errors are found and corrected before release.
Solutions from infsoft can be used for many different applications.
We supply a SDK (Software Development Kit) for integrating existing solutions, e.g. into an existing app
- We provide infsoft Backend Tools, e.g. for the analysis of movement profiles
- We offer a Full service Solution with a customized app that can be integrated into existing interfaces
During rollout, we support you in the background regarding the best possible use of the tools so that you will be able to act on your own in the future. This can take the form of onsite training or a web meeting, for example. We would also be happy to help with internal and external communication with employees and customers. The continuous analysis of customer needs and feedback enables you to identify new, useful functions and plan upcoming releases.